L. Coucil Powles came to Rockwell in 1933, purchased the Funeral Home from W. R. Ridenhour and changed the name to Powles Funeral Home. Mr. Ridenhour had operated the Funeral Home from the late 1800's or early 1900's.
Mr. Powles was born in Salisbury; he was a graduate of Granite Quarry High School and the Cincinnati School Of Mortuary Science.
The original facility was located on Depot Street in Rockwell; it moved to Main Street after Council Powles purchased the Funeral Home. In 1936 Mr. Powles built a new facility on West Main Street, where the funeral home is now located. For thirty-five years, Mr. Powles and his wife, Reba, who was a teacher in the Rowan County School System, operated the Funeral Home. For twenty-five of those years they also operated an Ambulance Service for the community.
In 1968 Roy B. and Geraldine H. Staton purchased the Powles Funeral Home. In 1970, and again in 1972, renovations and remodeling were done to the facility, which more than doubled the size of the funeral home.
In 1977 Stephen R. Staton returned to Rockwell and joined his parents at Powles Funeral Home.
In 1992 Powles Funeral Home was remodeled again to increase the size of the facility in order to meet the needs of the community.
The year 2001 marked another change at Powles Funeral Home. Steve and his wife, Vicki, completed succession-planning efforts with his parents. The transition of ownership within the Staton family allowed Steve & Vicki to become the second generation of the Staton family to operate the family owned business.
Powles Funeral Home has grown since W. R. Ridenhour started the funeral home in the late 1800's. Council Powles continued a tradition of offering a caring and compassionate service to the community. The Staton family has tried to follow in the footsteps of these two fine gentlemen. It is the promise of our family and staff to continue to expand our services to the community.